Saturday, 18 June 2016

Brassica and Brussels


Well there I was having a nap, not your run of the mill nap I hasten to add, I'm not that sort of a Princess, no ma'am, but one of those power nap naps. It' s like the chocolate you can eat between meals without loosing your appetite, only its a nap you can have between naps.

I'm sure you all know the sort, heavy day in the fields of business or feeling a bit low on energy after taxing session checking the thermal efficiency and dynamic elasticity of various linens, carpets and upholstery, that sort of day.

I better take it that's a yes as I'm running out of those allergy things to describe it for you...Whats that peep?....its an Anne allergy? but I don't know an Anne, and what allergy does she have, heck I don't want to catch anything! Oh an analog e! isn't that what came before digital?...No?...oh an analogy! now why didn't you say that before. Mouses!

Well I shall continue, I was just having a non allergic, non digital, low calorie power nap when peeps radio turned itself on. Some sort of timer thing, anyways, I get used to electrical things in the Palace doing what they want to do, like the vacuum cleaner that won't work when you look at it but when you turn to check the plug it turns on. The cleaner reckons its shy and doesn't like peeps watching when it's eating. I mean, who knew vacuums could have eating disorders. purrs

Anyways, that there radio just popped on and it was a program about politics and the European Union (EU). Now being a Princess means one must be prepared to host state visits and the like or step up when the monarch of the day is...um...inconvenienced, or when she's out and about doing Queenly things or the politicians of the day just cant make the decisions needed. So keeping abreast of important stuff like the state of the dairy cream industry and the price of nip futures across Europe, Canada and America is foremost (well nearly foremost) in my mind, so as to impress our guests and get the best deal.

Now it seemed from the radio discussion, that the UK wants to split from Europe and go sort of independent. Mouses! I  thought, does this mean the channel between France and the UK will get bigger? and as a result will the post take longer to come? Important to know when you're a cat with cheese delivers to arrange.

And where would the UK go? would we weigh anchor and set off to sunny Spain and warmer climes or would we just head West to Canada and the USA...heck that could be the biggest mass exit ever, though technically we wouldn't have exited at all!

What's that peep?... its migration you say? OK apparently peep thinks it should be the biggest migration ever....yep, I've got to admit it would be a massive headache, for sure. Mouses!

Hang on, it can't be a migration as the home island would be coming too, bit like a snail or that hermit crab I once met call Hermes. Hmm.... maybe its called a hermitation?

OK, peep has just told me that we won't actually be moving, not even an inch if we leave Europe, it's all a sort of paper exercise thing.... Hmm that's probably what all the peeps jumping up and down is all about.

Now apparently this paper exercise would mean that we would lose all the subsidies that we get from Brussels. I had no idea that those little chaps earned so much that they could hand billions away, heck we only ever see them here once a year and peep moans when they turn up at the Palace, even though he invited them!

I say boil them till they surrender, but apparently that's not the done thing in this day and age and we need to be aware of the impact it will have.

Nope, it seems you just have to treat those little brassicas with a light touch, some butter and grin and bear the smell and taste for the vitamins inside. Phew... give me cheese, cream and nip any day. Mouses!

Like my dear friend in Canada, the Gentlecat Seville (over at @nerissaslife) who couldn't vote in Canada's elections, I too won't get to vote. Peep will for sure, and all the other peeps, but not us cats, despite keeping the heart and soul of 13 million of the nations households (that's 46% peep tells me) happy and spider, fly & mouse free and organised.

Heck, them politician peeps seem to forget that we cats help keep the economy afloat through the building of new houses for us to live in, as well as all the feline requisites and the comestibles industry! Them 13 million households all have a vote, maybe two or three, and if there's going to be any shortages of that mice, sorry, nice continental cheese or those tasty meaty treats, then I thinks we should get to decide too. After all, who else is better placed to make the right choice, politicians?

Of course there are other peep related issues to consider, such as unemployment and immigration. Heck, those European ministers in Brussels would lose their jobs and have to come home! And they would want expenses and moving costs and even redundancy money for all that redundancy work they do. Mouses!

Top and bottom of it seems to be no one can decide what to do, peeps that is. Some say stay in and some say come out, but strangely there seems to be no middle option or third way, no path that gives everyone what they want for the lowest cost.

Maybe that is both the problem and the solution to the whole Brussels sprout....sorry.... the whole EU problem. Lots of peeps always say I want rather than I need, and often when they say I need they actually mean I want as they don't actually know what it is they do need, and just say I want as they've actually forgotten what the words mean and gotten so used to just demanding everything for fear of missing something.

To make it worse of course, if you demand everything, there is nothing left to have. So when they get it, there is no satisfaction of knowing there is maybe something extra available should you need it or as a treat.

Peep always says its mammon that causes all the problems, though how a woolly elephant can be causing this I don't know, unless its them causing a backlog at the checkout.

What's that peep? OK.... yep... got it... apparently peep says its nothing to do with elephants with jumpers on, its just about money, mind you can you imagine how much the wool would cost for a jumper that size. Mouses!


In truth, peeps do need to be more like us cats. Knowing what to have and when makes for a simpler, happier, and easier life. Confucius probably learnt that from us cats, and it's true, learning to be satisfied is one of the easiest and yet seemingly hardest things for peeps to do.... like saying NO.

I have some sayings, two are:- "Pour only so much cream as you can lick away" and " a mouse under paw is worth two out the door". Now maybe that's lost on peeps but the same goes for ketchup and sprouts...oops scrub the sprouts, who would ever want the two! Nope its ketchup and friendships.

As a rescue cat you have to learn to be grateful and how to measure life, and if you notice we all pretty much get along fine, we share if needed and we find that third way.

Maybe I should push for the third way with those Brussels sprouts this Christmas, they can come, and they can stay so long as peep doesn't boil them. What do think?






And Now for SUNDAY SELFIES, hosted by our fab friends, the kitties Blue, over at  the Cat on My Head blog.

Today we're entering this picture, snapped by paparazzi peep, of me, inspecting the Palace bathroom facilities for stray fish..... Is there nowhere sacrosanct!


53 comments:

  1. Brussels sprouts never stop by here much Erin! Peeps are often confused, at least here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brian. No sprouts, sounds like heaven, you must tell me your secret. I was hoping I could de-confuse my peep, but sounds like this is an international complaint that comes with voting. I wonder if there are shots for that sort of thing? purrs ERin

      Delete
  2. MOL, ya should see da eleckshun mess we got over here in da now. If only if wuz Brussel Sprouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, sounds pretty bad, especially if you'd rather have sprouts. Mouses! I will ship some of ours over ASAP. purrs ERin

      Delete
  3. funny thing is I don't like Brussels Sprouts...you would think I would being a bun!xx Speedy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is the wise choice. Peeps on the other hand, proves the point that common sense just can't rub off, and insists on having them even though doesn't like them. Thank goodness Christmas is just once a year! purrs ERin

      Delete
  4. There sure aren't any brussels sprouts here. Also, it is so true, peeps cannot make up their minds but sometimes neither can the cats, Sorry. You all have a great day. Great selfie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I'm pleased to hear you're a sprout free zone, it's what we need more of, for sure, that and free nip vending machines. Yup, we cats can be a bit undecided, with me it's only because peep hasn't offered what I want, which is usually double cream. purrs ERin

      Delete
  5. We don't like sprouts here either.

    Love your selfie!

    Purrs xx
    Athena and Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Athena and Marie. I think we needs to stand up and counted, and just say no to sprouts, well indoors at least. purrs ERin

      Delete
  6. We agree, Erin...peeps need to be more like us cats. The world would be a much better place. :) Nice selfie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks guys. We need to start small, changing one peep at a time. I shall phone the president and see if he's available. purrs ERin

      Delete
  7. Nice Selfie...Have a great one.

    hugs, Bugsy and Knuckles

    ReplyDelete
  8. An oc-cat-sional spat of short duration followed by 'making up' and peacefur cuddling...that is our idea.

    Our peeps love to roast those sprout thingies, MOL!

    Nice selfie:)

    Thanks fur visiting out blog today, pawleased to meet you:)

    MIAOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to meet you all too. Hmm, roasting them sounds like a great option, but outdoors only I think. Last time the peeps roasted, the kitchen needed redecorating. Mouses! purrs ERin

      Delete
  9. You are so smart, Erin. I hope your peep listens to you, because you've got the human world figured out and your peep might need some help ... "Lots of peeps always say I want rather than I need, and often when they say I need they actually mean I want as they don't actually know what it is they do need, and just say I want as they've actually forgotten what the words mean and gotten so used to just demanding everything for fear of missing something. To make it worse of course, if you demand everything, there is nothing left to have."
    Then again, "who knew vacuums could have eating disorders," shows EXACTLY why you were named a finalist in the Best Pet Humor Blog category at BlogPaws. And since my Momma has some experience in the subject at hand, she found it especially funny :) ~Bear Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peep only listens to the radio (which is just as well as we don't have Television), but other peeps only watch TV which is why they don't listen... well that's my take on it. Now as to vacuums, peeps says there is a really big one in space that's related to ours. If our dear Vaccy's diet is anything to go by, there must be some really big smelly stockings floating around out there ready to be sucked up. I sure don't want one of them falling to earth. Mouses!

      Delete
  10. Peeps can be very confusing!!!

    Super selfie!

    The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi guys, I think there needs to be an instruction book yo give us cats when we adopt a peep. I mean we jump in cold and have to do everything for them from picking food to delivery of food, and time planning. Our lot is not made easy I can tell you. purrs ERin

      Delete
  11. Our Mama loves brussle sprouts!Ack! Who admits that?!! And you know what...the cats here can't make up their minds about all sorts of things but we agree and think peeps should still be more like us :)

    the critters in the cottage xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I won't tell a soul, or the chef. I did invent a non smelly sprout but peep says its actually just a baby lettuce. Hmm, I don't usually get indecisive, I just tend to jump on things and get it done, which is fine unless it's a swivel chair and then I just don't know where I am. purrs ERin

      Delete
  12. People should be more like cats. Great selfie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi guys, Yay, thats another resounding yes for peeps to be like cats. Now all we need to do is somehow change them genetically. Maybe feed them a special kibble, and mice, and cream. Ok, maybe not the cream. purrs ERin

      Delete
  13. I love your saying Erin. I think you should write a book with your sayings, I am sure you have more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you, they seem to come when I least expect, or when I'm asleep. In fact, peep says I am very deep at times, I think maybe that was something to do with my position in the duvet! purrs ERin

      Delete
  14. You're lookin' bootyful as ever Erin. We missed dat piece of news, but it is innerestin' to be sure. Stay safe.

    Luv ya'

    Dezi and Raena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Dezi and Raena. The EU thing is a big political mess, one that clearly a cat has not been involved in. Have a wonderful Sunday. Love to you all, purrs ERin

      Delete
  15. We say no to sprouts too! That is a lovely selfie. Did you find any stray fish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Flynn, unlike those pesky sprouts, I found no fish, except for some printed on the shower curtain. I suspect they may have flown the nest, or the bath. Mouses! ERin

      Delete
  16. No sprouts, here. Peeps are fine with broccoli and cauliflower and stuff but sprouts? NEVER. MOUSES!

    Sure do hope those peeps on your side of the pond can figure out what's best - I mean, REALLY best - for everyone involved. You know? Of course you do. You are a cat, after all.

    Now 'bout these mammoths. Peeps had to knit 'em sweaters, you say? Bet there's not much time left for knittin' nip mice when you've been kept busy knittin' elephant-sized sweaters. MOUSES!

    Purrs,
    Seville.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Seville. Sounds like you will have a wonderful very safe sprout free Christmas! Peep did say currying them makes them better, personally that gets a double NO WAY, NOT over my drawbridge response.

      I bet the needles for those mammoth sweaters will be huge, in fact a dropped stitch could cause a major accident or loss of life! I wonder if the nip mice would be just as big? Now there's a thought, mammoth size nip mice. Mouses!

      Purrs from much rained on pal
      ERin.

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. I count my blessings, I do, one peeps is crazy enough to look after, I can image a whole world is a nightmare. Maybe peeps need more nip mice and cream? purrs ERin

      Delete
  18. Love your selfie Princess Erin. Just be happy that you do not live in the US with us. The politics here are the worst of the worst and nothing changes except the tax increases
    Purrs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Timmy, that is really sweet of you to say. Sounds like you get a real bad deal over there! Our Palace politics is quite easy, I elect peep to buy the shopping and peep elects me to eat it. Peep also says we have proportional representation, as I will end up looking like cream if I eat many more portions! purrs ERin

      Delete
  19. Truth be told, our humans like those sprouts. I know ... weird, huh?

    Peeps sure do get confused a lot. MOUSES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Mouses! Yup, peeps never fail to surprise me and confuse me....I've had to restrict them to outdoor cooking venues only, preferably with a Southerly wind in the meadow down the lane. That's the sprouts not the peep, though I have been tempted to send the peep too if those sprouts have been consumed. purrs ERin

      Delete
  20. MOL MOL MOL Erin!!! Too funny, Brussels suck - or Brussels sucks, use whicheffur feels best in the moment - yet they both apply! MOL

    Mew know we're not political-kitties here, but BRUSSELS SUCKS fur sure - flipping crappy politics, as long as it doesn't impede on our blogging schedule we're all good and as long as we don't have to eat Brussels we're even better! MOL

    BTW Erin do mew have yours with cream, al dente or as they are?

    Purrs

    Basil & Co xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, hi Basil, it all sucks for sure, which is something that I won't do to a sprout! I have them alfresco, well technically I leave them outdoors and run as fast as I can so they don't follow me back. purrs ERin XOX

      Delete
    2. Erin, your policy on Brussel Management is most excellent and we will now be implementing the scheme at our abode - IMMEDIATELY!!! MOL MOL

      Delete
  21. ERin....bee for yur countree pax it up & mooves; if they think they mite....
    across de big pond; best wait til afturr de electshunz in novemburr....werd
    on de streetz iz; dee pendin on whooz who & whoo winz....everee one heer... mite
    bee MOOVIN ta another countreez !!!!!! happee week a head ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi guys great to see you all. Oh my word, I think I better wait then as that means we might bump into each other mid way across, which would be awkward as I don't know which side we'd pass on being we drive on different sides. Mouses! ERin

      Delete
  22. Ah, how wonderful the world would be if we could all be a little more like our cats. I agree!

    Jean from Welcome to the Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean, sorry for the delay, some serious vet stuff going on at the palace, not me though, just peep. I think we should start our own feline commune, maybe have a separate state or country, we could call it Catalovia maybe? No presidents or queens or politics, just happy catizens and fair cream rations for all. purrs ERin

      Delete
  23. You're sure lucky to be a cat, Erin (and a princess one, at that!). Humans are a bit, well, you know. And, great selfie! Purrs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, and Thank You. Oh indeed, peeps just are so strange, and never a dull moment in this palace when a decision is to be made. Personally I do think it all went wrong when peeps started to watch TV, and lost the hunting instinct. Hunting works for me and I can make a decision at the drop of a mouse, or is it mice, or mouses! purrs ERin

      Delete
  24. My peeps are fan of Sprouts, not of Brussels either..MOL :D Pawkisses for a wonderful day :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, sprouts and Brussels don't seem to mix do they, maybe we should have sprouts renamed, something more appealing that also doesn't have Brussels in it? "The Caribean Sprout" sounds healthy.... purrs ERin

      Delete
  25. Dear Princess Erin - I was getting all excited over the idea of the UK floating across the ocean and parking next door to Canada and the USA. Then you and me and Seville could get together and discuss poly-ticks and gardening, and why peeps do the things they do. PS My mom shudders over those Brussels...nasty little cabbages she call them. So we don't allow them in our house. Hope you are having a Wonderpurr week. Purrs!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Herman, what a wonderful idea that would be... We could set up some catwalks between the SS Britain & Canada & USA and nip over for afternoon nip and cream teas. I definitely won't be serving any Brussels. See you soon, and have a wonderful week! Purrs ERin

    ReplyDelete
  27. ummmm...Mom L totally enjoys those tasty little cabbages. Now Dad P on the other paw, well, he won't touch them unless she hides them in some kind'a veggie saute, na'mean? They ought ot leave settling politics to us cats IMHCO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Savannah! Peep says if you curry the little rascals, they loose their potency.... personally that seems akin to adding petrol to a fire which is often what I thought peeps wok cooking resembled. purrs ERin

      Delete