Sunday, 22 January 2017

P Versus NP. The Solution!



Previously on Erin the Cat Princess..... 



".........this thing I have discovered is WAY too big for just me to hang on to. It could solve every known problem on earth AND problems not yet known. It will affect our understanding of the universe, time and space, and I hope answer that really big question, why does cream go off so fast?


The one BIG, and I mean MASSIVE with a capital M, down side is it will also render EVERY computer based security code completely useless, breakable, and bring down governments, countries, and worse still, make on-line nip shopping completely impossible. Mouses!!


OK, so what you need to do is this, enter this code 'erinthecatprincess' in your laptop, and sit down and wait.... I'll find you, you won't know where or when, but it will be soon. Or maybe later. Or it may well be next Sunday. But it will come, and the secrets of and solution to P versus NP conundrum will be revealed to the enlightened few, and the $1M Millenium Prize will be ours, to share for the good of peep and cat kind. purrs"








And now, the concluding part of this true life story.... What society chooses to do with this information is now in your hands...... 


What's that, peep, you want to know now you say, in case something happens to me? I really don't thi..... hmm you may be right, I did see some rather dodgy looking characters dressed in black loitering in the oak tree earlier. OK, better to have a back up plan I suppose, for posterity. Well it all started........


****** Wavy lines and time travel backwards 3 months ******



.......just the other day as I was listening to a very good radio discussion about the Millennium Prizes which are a series of $1 million prizes to solve hitherto unsolved by computer, problems. One that caught my ear was to Pee versus Not to Pee.

Well, being the educated Princess that I am, all self taught you know, OH yes. I've slept on many a fine journal and dissertation, National Geogra (page was torn on that one), The Old Scientist, and what Dairy Cream Cow were my favourites, and you can't help but have some of that stuff rub off on you, especially when it's damp. purrs

Anyways my interest was piqued and I thought I stood a chance at solving this problem and it surprised me no peep scientist or computer had figured this out. Clearly it is better to use the litter box than not on the basis that its better out than in. By that I mean that's better in the litter box than out, unless of course you happen to be out and about and haven't got a litter box in which case out is perfectly fine, unless you happen to have no shelter in which case maybe IN would be better than OUT? Mouses, no wonder those peeps struggle with this!

Now I confronted my peep later that day and suggested we book a ticket to Finland, where the prize is judged, and present our case, or in fact litter box. Now peeps, and pardon the pun, put a damper on my litter box solution and advised that problem is actually P verses NP and nothing to do with litter boxes. Mouses!

OK I hear you say, we understood the litter box science but what's this other P & NP stuff?

Well being a Princess does mean I have to have a paw on the pulse of science and a handle on the facts for sure, though without opposable thumbs it is a bit difficult. purrs

So in a nutshell, and you may wish to have a commercial break and a coffee handy, the whole science thing stuff goes as follows:

Scientist peeps use Al Gores rhythms to...

What's that peep? Oops, sorry folks Mr Gore had nothing to do with this matter, apparently those scientists used algorithms! 

Anyways, those clever peeps use these algorithms in computers to either (a) find the solution to a problem e.g. how many cartons of cream do I need this week, or (b) verify that the seven cartons of cream I hope peep has bought are the correct number that will last the week given I use one a day, which I hasten to add I don't, heck I'd be as fat as ...well lets not go there, or mention peeps derriere. Mouses!

Anyhows, what science peeps want to know is, if  any problem, cream related or not that can be easily solved by an algorithm can also be verified as easily by an algorithm.  Well to my mind that's an easy one as all I need to know is that there's room in the fridge. purrs

Moving on, as I can see peep is dozing off, this sort of cream conundrum is easy when there are only a few cartons of cream. BUT apparently there is one big problem which is very very difficult and time consuming to solve, and that's the Travelling Cream Salesman problem. OK so I am paraphrasing that, but roll with me on this if you will.

The problem is along the lines of finding the shortest route for the cream to be delivered to any given number of cats in any given number of cities along the shortest route so that the cream doesn't go off and you don't deliver to the same cat twice, that's very important, and always end up back at the creamery.

Now if you have only 3 cats in 3 cities the problem is an easy one but if you have 30 cats in 30 cities the number of variations of routes (not to mention spilt cream) is, well, beyond my paws to count and apparently would take twenty times the age of the universe to solve, which I suppose means that cream would have to be long life. Mouses!

Being an enquiring sort of a princess I couldn't help but ponder the problem during the daily trip to the Royal cardboard box, for meditation purposes you understand. Sat there it hit me! not the box as I prefer the open top style, but the answer to all the long journeys that poor and no doubt very tired, deliveryman has to make.

Drum roll would be good about this time, peep...

peep...

PEEEP! Ah, now I have your attention, and queue drum roll......

****** Sound of two fingers drumming on desk ******


Hmm, remind me not to hire you any time soon. Mouses!


Anyways, the real problem ISN'T that P versus NP stuff, it's that these peeps computers use such very long algorithms that they can't see the end of them. Now sat in the middle of  my box I could see every corner and side and the distance to each was easily touched by my paw. Eureka! that was it I thought, you need to have a different sort of algorithm which is shaped like a box, a sphere even, three dimensional as it were, where you are sat in the middle, rather than at one end, and can see and have a paw in all the cream, as it were.

After all if I were living as a stray again, I would live in the middle of my patch so the shortest distance to any food would always be from the middle. Heck those little spiders sussed that long ago.

And so my fellow educated cats, I give to the cream loving world, and cream delivery peeps everywhere, Erin's Box (or Sphere) Algorithm! Now I would add at this juncture that this will work equally well for nip, and cheese deliveries too. purrs

Impressive huh! All in a mornings work for a Princess you know. Just takes a small amount of napp... er... meditation and ET VOILA!

I think my work is done here now, yep, I'm fairly certain I have successfully better than halved the distance and time taken to deliver that cream. As to that last bit of P versus NP, the actual equation, I think it best that I leave that to the peeps to sort, heck I can't do everything what with Palace duties to sort, mice to chase and a peep to keep in line. It should be a doddle for them, so long as they sit in a box and have a na... er... meditate, yep meditation will do it. purrs

But there is an etiquette to these things and being a Princess amateur algorithmist and all, it wouldn't seem right to have all that prize, so I think it would be fairer for all if  I have enough to recompense me for the tiring work, not to mention draining the cream supplies, and box wear and tear. New boxes don't come cheap peep says, especially ones with those eye slots at each end. Shall we say 95% plus expenses?

Now if you will excuse me, I need to work on a way more important, more complex matter, one of great concern, nay international concern to us cats, namely, where do all those nip mice go?....

Hmm, I feel a meditation session coming on. purrs


The End.... or is it just the beginning?

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????


It's Sunday Selfie time!  This blog is a hop and is hosted by the fabulous Kitties Blue, from the Cat on My Head blog. 

If you have never participated before, give it a go, it sure is fun and you get to meet loads of pals from across the globe, and even some that are closer than you might have thought.











This weeks selfie was what peep saw looking up at 2am this morning after having awoken from a slight stabbing pain to the pate! 


Strange that, I didn't see a thing....


To see what all our pals have been up to, click the links/images below, and enjoy the HOP! 



42 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Blessings to you all too, have a wonderful week. purrs ERin

      Delete
  2. I think I'd rather P than NP, but I'm not good at litter box science either Princess. You're looking mighty fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brian, I think the best NP is the one with and 'i' between the N and the P MOL. Have a great week. purrs ERin

      Delete
  3. Oh, this is brilliant, Erin! Quicker deliveries of cream, nip and cheese? We love your algorithm! And your selfie, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think it is just what we all need, well us cats need anyway. purrs ERin

      Delete
  4. Princess, our heads are spinning from all of this. We are so happy that we have you to meditate on all this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meditating is good, I do most of mine whilst napping, or in my box, or both, but don't tell anyone I said that. MOL Have a great week. purrs ERin

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank You Jeanne, you too, and hope to see you next week. purrs ERin

      Delete
  6. You are a very clever princess, Erin!

    Love your selfie :)

    Purrs xx
    Athena and Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well modesty forbids me to say but I do try hard and sometimes if I thinks I can come up with some pretty good ideas. I just need to figure out how to get onto that cream delivery peeps route. MOL Have a good week. purrs ERin xx

      Delete
  7. Princess Erin I am so glad you are here to explain this to me because I admit it's gone over my cat ears! As always you gave us a beautiful selfie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think these science peeps like to cloud things in figures, but as soon as I realized it was about cream delivery, I had it solved! Thank you, that wasnt quite what peep thought about the image. MOL Have a good week. purrs ERin

      Delete
  8. To the Peep: Oh my cat ... "Al Gore rhythms" ... that's worth a Nose to Nose all by itself (so you better show up this year!!!).
    Erin: Love that picture of you in the middle of the night ... I hope you haven't been trading tips with Bear (my apologies to the Peep if so ... Bear's technically grounded from the internet so I'll speak with him). You have a pretty ferocious stretch too. In the whole cream delivery problem ... how do account for deliveries to homes with a Kraken? I remember yours likes mailmen ... so surely that should factor into the algorithm, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe, that was a post I wrote should I have got into Rescued Volume 2. Alas I blew it and we didnt make the cut. Hmm it would be nice to get into the nose to nose awards but I doubt this post will be the one as am not sure peeps appreciate P versus NP really exists and would destroy computer based world as we know it if peeps follow my solution. Ho hum you can but try and another example of us cats being belittled for being cats!
      Well peep has booked everything bar cab to travel the 150 miles to the airport, and the valium to take for the trip MOL Paws crossed peep will be there, may be a wreck and in wrong state or hotel, but will be there!
      Hmm, well that could be a fly in the ointment, but I believe they are lactose intolerant so eating a cream delivery man wont be high on the agenda as would cause no end of upset. MOL Have a good week. purrs Erin

      Delete
    2. Can't you offer a friend petrol money???

      Delete
    3. Alas no friends available to ask :(

      Delete
  9. You look so bootyful Erin. Dat comes as no surprise tho', as we think you're always gawjus. Good job on da equation. Dat took a lot more contemplation than we're innerested in. MOL We think we need a nap now. Have a pawsum week. Big hugs fur all.

    Luv ya'

    Dezi and Raena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dezi, Hi Raena, thanks about the equation, I too needed a nap to meditate away the enormity of my discovery, that and to dream of all the cream I could buy. MOL I try to look my best even at 2am, but peep doesn't always see it that way, even upside down. purrs and hugs and blessed week to all. ERin

      Delete
  10. Beautiful selfie. The answer is always to pee rather than not to pee. Hope you can stock up on cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so true, I keep telling peep this before long journeys. Makes life a lot quicker, for sure. If I get my money I will be needing a bigger fridge and cellar, in fact I may have to fill the moat and move the Kraken to a hotel pool till it is all eaten. purrs ERin

      Delete
  11. Mew mew mew oh ERin sweet gurl you sorta look a bit guiltee....what a rate Selfie!! mee must try that meeself!
    ~~head rubsss~~ Siddhartha Henry~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't say anything ****furtive glance**** but I was sort of looking for treats that sort of got accidentally spilt down the back of the bed that evening... not sure by who though. purrs ERin

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Ooh, that sounds like fun, but what sort should it be? "101 ways to catch a mouse" or maybe I could do "Science, every day solutions for mans greatest problems, as seen by cats." What do you think? purrs ERin

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks, guys, a sort of caught in the cross hairs selfie this week, though I deny all knowledge of how those treats escaped onto peeps pillow. Mouses!

      Delete
  14. Oh my Ceiling Cat, that was some kind of complex mental work! We wonder, can you do it so well because you're a Princess??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think we all have it in us it's just those science peeps make things so much harder than they need to be, I think it's so they keep their jobs. all we need to do is sit down and have a good nap and things always seem better.... especially if you have a cup of nip tea to paw. Purrs ERin

      Delete
  15. ERin, all that Al Gore Rythum is furry importante and mew're one supurr smart princess, think mew should come fur a stint at the bunker with me and The Hoard and see how we use them fur our satellite tracking surveillance, it'd blow your fur off! MOL

    Happy Sunday

    Basil & Co xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh WOW! Yes please that would be so cool! If there's a chance I'll get my floofy bits blown off I'll bring my woolly flack jacket and that woolly bobble hat. MOL Any chance I can go out on a raid, maybe on some squirrels? purrs ERin

      Delete
  16. Oh my mouses, Erin. OH MY MOUSES!!! Now tell me, is there anythin' in Al Gore's rhythm and blue's band 'bout kitties who might be lactose intolerant? You know, like my brother, Sir Fartsalot. I mean Andy. MOUSES!

    Purrs,
    Seville

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope there wasn't anything specific so I'm sure Sir fartsa... sorry, Andy, will be OK so long as his deliveryman delivers only soya or raw food diet and doesnt get mixed up with the cream deliveryman on route. I'm sure nothing horrible or cataclysmic would happen if they did cross, but you just cant rule out the weasels throwing a spanner in the cream. Mouses!

      Purrs, ERin

      Delete
  17. Erin, after all that, our furry heads are spinning. We need a mediation session now too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe thats what I had to do too, but once you had a meditation and a Niptini it all falls into place.

      Purrs,
      Erin

      Delete
  18. My, my, my...who knew partaking of cream with one's cream was such an issue. And perhaps the weasels had naught to do but rather it was the cheese head mices?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, this is one problem the weasels would loved to have solved themselves as they could steal everyones data, and worse still all the cream!

      Purrs,
      Erin

      Delete
  19. Erin , you look quite put out in your selfie! Was the human taking up too much of the bed? Again?!

    the critters in the cottage xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe, the peep always takes up too much room in the bed MOL if not the width the size of the tummy. MOL

      Purrs,
      ERin

      Delete
  20. Oh my Cat! This gets more complicated by the minute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope it's not too complicated for all those science peeps! I can offer to give them a lesson in the use of using a box, cheap prices too! Well a princess has to make ends meet and pay for the cream bill. purrs Erin

      Delete