Sunday, 16 April 2017

Somewhere....

This weeks story opens with Erin singing ..........

Somewhere on a Palace, way up high
There's a balcony I heard of once in a lullaby.
Somewhere over that balcony, skies are blue
And dreams that you dare dream really do come true.

Someday I'll wish beneath the stars
And wake up in a land where sad days
Are far behind me
Where troubles melt like frozen cream
And pleasant peeps are not a dream
That's where you'll find me.

Somewhere over the Palace where sparrows fly
Birds fly over the Palace
Why then, oh, why can't I

If happy little sparrows fly
Beyond my Palace in the sky
Why, oh, why can't I?


****** Sighs ******



This little song, this ditty, it has so many truths.

We dream and aspire to be places we can not be, reach for the sparrows that are beyond our paws, climb to the top of tree limbs we can not climb, ahem, that even a svelte Princess, such as I, can not tread. In search of dreams.

Oh if only there was such a place, alas it's like chasing a rainbow and that pot of golden cream that lies at its feet. Purrs

Is it wrong to dream? To hope for better, when all around you is death and killing. Yes to hope for peace is good, to hope for a life less mundane than that we see ourselves as having, is that wrong?

When so many starve and die, is that nature or intervention by others?

Oh if I could fly?

I have these dreams, in the nicest possible sense. OK some of them are nightmares, about giant mice and rabid squirrels, but the worst by far is when I find the cream has turned, turned and evolved into a new life form and is coming after me!

I dream of good things, of mice and sparrows, of peace and quiet, of health and happiness and joy.

I dream of times now long past, times of hardship and fear, of cold and hunger. That's why I hunt, and why I hide from all but my trusted peeps.

So why do I want to fly? Why do any of us want to be more than we are? To live the dream we can not live.

Oh if I could fly.

I read this great biography, about a Jonathan Livingston Seagull, and he wanted to fly, and he did, and he achieved so much.

In fact he learned to leave this world and travel beyond to infinite realms, and return again. I wonder, if there were infinite mice in those realms, and streams of cream and blue skies and peace, a place where cats can fly and chase the sparrows.

I want to be me, and yet I want to be more than me, I want to be better than me, V 2.0. But would I ever stop and be happy? That Jonathan wasn't, well not in the end and he wanted to do more and more. Is that the curse of the dreamer? Is that the gift of dreaming, of life?

I heard tell of a moth, she wanted to fly, and she did as that is what moths do, well at least if they don't fall prey. But this moth, she aspired to greater things, and wanted to fly to the huge light in the sky. Not for her was the flickering electric lights or candle flames of peeps, lights that mean near certain death.

No, she aimed for the stars, the sun, and the moon. To my knowledge she may still be out there now, alive and trying to be what she wanted to be and doing what she wanted to do.

No one thought to tell her, but then should they have? Is not a dream as important as a reality, and who is to say a dream is not just the future waiting to arrive?

Oh if I could fly.

I keep thinking I am for greater things, for higher planes. OK so that doesn't mean I'll be taking my pilots licence as I sure wouldn't want to piloting one of those jumbos around the skies. They, like the humble bumble bee, are truly one of natures mysterious beauties. Purrs

I mean how they get off the ground with all that weight and such small wings it is truly amazing. Those ears must have to flap so fast to get take off speed, and overcome the drag factor of that large trunk. Purrs

Nope, I think I'll leave that sort of flying to the elephants. Me, I just want to fly, but where?

I know I'm not going to BlogPaws, but that's OK.

But where does my life lead? OK so it oft' leads around the estate, to visit pals in the village. I have turrets and gardens to patrol, and yes, someone does have to keep those sun puddles in order and that duvet checked, and the comfy chair has to be made comfy. These all do take time and fill my day, but isn't there more to life than that?

If I could fly, I could do things quicker and I dare say better. Them sparrows would have some competition for the flight paths, and they say competition is good and healthy for the free market economy.

Mind you, if I could fly would that mean dogs could too? I can't be selfish about these things now can I. Dogs would be chasing the cats, chasing sparrows all over the place, and I dare say there would be a few collisions and we would end up with the FAA (Feline Accident Authority, known as Cat Accident Authority in UK) having to recruit more staff!

Now more staff would mean more wages and more wages will ultimately lead to more taxes, and nobody likes taxes!

Of course, the normal rules of engagement regarding cats and dogs would cease to apply. I mean running up a tree, when you and your chaser can both fly is hardly a defence, now is it.

Cat flaps would have to change too. For starters peeps would have to have them built at a higher level, with a runway leading into them. In a multi cat household this could lead to arrival and takeoff congestion and delays at peak times. Mouses!

And what if you had a nap, and started sleep-flying? Oh my, that would make for some very awkward situations, and no doubt we'd have to find some sort tethering system to hold us down!

Hmm, sounds like this flying game could cause more problems than it could solve!

Oh if I could fly.

But what is the point of flying if you don't know where you are going? Maybe I need to have a ponder, a search on the internet, and then decide what it is I want.

****** Rattling of keys on keyboard ******

Oooh! What's this? A Caterpillar for helping us cats climb up walls? Wow, Sounds just the ticket, and if I had one of those I wouldn't have to fly!

Who'd have thought those little green guys would be able to carry a cat, I wonder how big they actually are, and if those hairs would tickle?

Hmm, if they can carry a cat I best start ordering in some extra green veg for them to eat. I wonder if they like Brussels?

Hang on, silly me, its a Catipillaas in the Uber cool, revolutionary metal cat tree designed for the in/out cat, rather than a Caterpillar, which is designed for... for... er.... eating my vegetable patch!

Many thanks to Catipilla for use of their image.
Yup, sounds like that there Catipilla is the thing for me. And whilst I might not be able to fly, I can get up high with this, maybe even up to the roof on the far East Wing, and certainly in the window to the creamery. And by the sounds of it I could even have a balcony added on too!

Now how do I order one?

Hmm looks like they're just in the process of starting up production and need backing on Kickstarter. Says here, if I get in early I can get a massive discount too!

Brilliant, I'm in! Now all I have to do is see if they'll take a down payment, in kind. I wonder if one hundredweight of Brussels sprouts will do?


                                                          ~~~ The End ~~~

It was with great sadness that heard this morning of sweet Nellie's passing over the rainbow bridge. I dedicate todays blog to a fine friend, a friend to us all, one who will be sorely missed, until that time when we too can take that journey over the rainbow, and find that dreams do come true...

God Bless you Nellie, till we meet again....





_________________________________________________________________________________



It's Sunday Selfie time!



Please join me now as we enter the Sunday Selfies hosted by the fantastic 

Kitties Blue: XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Angel Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth, Calista Jo, and Cooper Murphy, from The Cat on My Head blog 












The Sunday selfies is a wonderful weekly celebration of blogs and bloggers from across the world, and shares stories and pictures for others to enjoy. 


Why not join the fun, by adding the code from our hosts, a link is on their page, and posting your own selfie. 


This weeks selfie is of me practicing the ancient art of "The Third Paw" (the unseen version of Smackie Paws)


This is where we can reach out and touch you, or a mouse, or make things move using only a shadowy third paw. A sort of a Jedi skill, without the flashy light sabres. Purrs




To see what all our pals have been up to this week, please click the links/images below, and enjoy the HOP!


51 comments:

  1. Well Erin, we will fly in our dreams then won't we, no flying dogs thank you very much! Now, a Catipilla that could help Ralphie climb the big trees out front.....Like that whacky paw, gonna have to work on that...oh, Happy Easter too beautiful!
    Luvs
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes dreams are meant for the best things, hope and aspirations. Definitely NO dogs in my dreams, well only the nice blogosphere ones. MOL
      Purrs, Erin

      Delete
  2. That was a terrific post Princess Erin and if I could fly I would probably hurt myself by bumping into things! We sure are sad that dear Nellie had to leave, she was special to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Brian, that means a lot. Yes I bet I would be running into things too!
      Gentle purrs for Nellie.
      Erin

      Delete
  3. Hmmm maybe you just need to do some Magic Closet traveling instead,We miss Nellie too,xx Speedy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right on the closet travelling, I shall get peep to fix one up pronto.
      Gentle purrs for Nellie, XX
      Erin

      Delete
  4. You have very interesting dreams, Erin! Flying would be so much fun, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I always like to ponder life and fun things. Flying maybe is for the birds after all, but I would like to try. MOL
      Purrs, Erin

      Delete
  5. Erin, my favorite of your song is "And wake up in a land where sad days Are far behind me
    Where troubles melt like frozen cream
    And pleasant peeps are not a dream"
    Sounds so wonderful.

    Your upside-down sunshine selfie sure is cute! Happy Easter to you and your peep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, sometimes dreams are what we need, and not what we actually want. But in truth that song brings me as much sadness as it does hope.
      Gentle purrs for Nellie..

      Delete
  6. What a sweet musing post about peace and love and intentions. If we all tried to do more and be more, what kind of a world would we have? I wonder. And I love those stairs. Popoki has a set of stairs in my little studio, leading to a private little apartment near the roof, just for her. She loves it up there and seems to spend quite a bit of time thinking deep thoughts like this.

    Jean from Welcome to the Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think if we all did that little bit extra we could change the world vastly for the better, end famine and have peace and a lot better society. Those stairs are definitely for me. I wish I had a secret or private apartment too...
      Purrs, Erin

      Delete
  7. If I could fly I could give those rotten squirrels that taunt me what for. The Flying Flynn has a certain ring to it, don't you think?
    That is a cute sunny selfie. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Flynn. Now THAT does have a wonderful ring to it, The Flying Flynn, Squirrel chaser extraordinaire! I think you could make a million with those skills. MOL Wishing you and your family a Wonderful and Happy Easter
      purrs, Erin

      Delete
  8. I love your sweet song, Erin! We're excited about that Catipilla too and are heartbroken over Nellie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I cry each time I read this now, as the news of Nellie passing makes me think of this song, and losing a friend.
      Gentle purrs for Nellie..

      Delete
  9. Hi Erin! Nice to see you.Sorry we haven't been around lately, but our mom has been working too much to help us. It's not fair! She is looking forward to seeing your dad at BlogPaws. Make sure to tell him to look for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, good to see you too. I know what it is like to have absent peeps, though mine is oft better absent than around to cause chaos! You may have to find peep as I'm sure the memory is fading with old age. MOL

      Delete
  10. I was very sad to read about Nellie. There is too much sadness in the world, it would be nice to wake up with no sadness. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is flying on her own wings now, I shall look out and see if I can see her, and she is always welcome to visit.
      Gentle purrs for Nellie..

      Delete
  11. Beautiful song! Zulu actually kinda got to fly today! We were so sorry to hear about Nellie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I didn't realise how poignant it was until later. I miss Nellie so very much, I do hope she will come to visit us someday.
      Gentle purrs for Nellie..

      Delete
  12. Happy Easter....we're pretty sure we can't fly but, if we could, we would fly to heaven and see Angel Nellie with her beautiful wings.

    The Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A visit to Angel Nellie, yes, I think I would too, that would be a great thing to do, and far better use of the gift of flight.
      Gentle purrs for Nellie,

      Delete
  13. We kind of wish WE could fly, too, Erin. We might get into all sorts of trouble, but that would be kind of fun, if you ask us. :)

    We will miss our sweet pal, Nellie, too. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh yes, I know I would always be in trouble chasing everything everywhere, I be I'd even end up going in somebody else windows, and it would be rude not to check out the cuisine whilst there. MOL
      Gentle purrs for Nellie..
      Erin

      Delete
  14. A lovely post today Erin, truly lovely AND your Catipilla made us laugh. We aim to help too it's ingenious and clever!

    Losing Nellie was a blow, and her mum is such gifted lady.

    As I say, a lovely post.... Sorry we are late, happy Easter and we hope your week is a good one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI guys, you are never late when you visit the Palace, friends are welcome come when they please, whats good about having friends.... Thank you, I gift this post to Nellie, and her mom, and wish the weeks ahead will bring much sunshine to their lives and fond memories as Nellie watches over them...
      Gentle purrs for Nellie
      Erin

      Delete
  15. We totally understand what you're saying, Erin!

    Purrs xx
    Athena and Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, life isn't always as black and white as it seems.
      Gentle purrs for Nellie..

      Delete
  16. Oh, Erin, what a lovely song and a lovely post. We sure would love to take a little flight to visit all of our Rainbow Bridge furiends. Purrs to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that flight would be lovely, and I'd go as soon as I could to be with those I have lost.
      Gentle purrs for Nellie..

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. Thank you, I muse a lot, especially when sad.
      Purrs, Erin

      Delete
  18. What a lovely post you have written, Erin, in memory of such a beautiful friend. PURRS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Seville, that she truly was and more.
      Gentle purrs for Nellie..

      Delete
  19. What a beautiful song, Erin...and very fitting that you dedicated it to sweet Nellie. We will miss her so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nellie was quite the lady, a Queen and pleasure visit and loved by all.
      Gentle purrs for Nellie..

      Delete
  20. You are always so purretty Erin. We kinda like da idea of flyin'. Altho' mommy says there's somethin' 'bout ear pawppin' dat we purrobably wouldn't like. She says it happens when ya' change altitudes. We don't know nuffin' 'bout dat, but seems ifin we're wishin' we could fly, we could also wish away da ear pawps too right?. Anyways, da catapilla sound purretty cool. We don't get to go outside without mommy or our harness tho', so we don't think it would work fur us. Inside, we don't really have anywhere appropriate to put it. Hope you can get somethin' worked out fur yourself. Big hugs and fanks fur bein' our furiend.

    Luv ya'

    Dezi and Raena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, but I am not alone in the beauty stakes, you all are very pretty too. Oooh I never knew ones ears popped, sounds painful possibly dangerous. Mouses!
      I hope I can get one of those but who knows what Santa may bring me. I can climb most things but there is no reason not to think higher?
      Purrs hugs and head bumps, Erin

      Delete
  21. What a beautiful song, post and sentiments, Erin. And those Catipilla steps seem very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is a nice song, full of dreams.
      Gentle purrs for Nellie..

      Delete
  22. We miss Nellie too. The world is a darker place for her no longer being in it. Bear loves your flying idea ... or he did until I reminded him that chickens don't fly. Now he's a bit conflicted on the subject ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh no point being conflicted, just kick out and enjoy the flight, I here tell tasty duck is very nice this time of year! Purrs, ERin

      Delete
  23. Someone very special has gone forever from this world and I feel an immense pain, however with your wonderful words, you have made my heart rejoice.
    I am grateful to you for your special message it has helped me find some peace and tranquility.
    Thank you so much Princess Erin and Peoples!
    Love Barb (Nellie's Mommy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin and I send our love and gentle purrs to you at this time, and for dearest Nellie...

      Delete
  24. *wipes tears over Nellie's passing* I didn't know her, but I feel sad that she's got angel wings and can fly, but I can't. Yoor wonderpurr post on flying has inspired me to reach beyond my simple world and try to fly like the birrrds. I'm gonna start later tonight, after my pawrents are asleep so they don't get all growly over stuff that possibly might bweak while I'm climbing high enough to launch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adorapurr, do tell me how you get on, and if you get to fly please do come by and give me a lesson too! I'll leave the West Wing tower windows open for you, and Herman too. Purrs Erin
      PS Think safety first, and try to land on something soft till you get the hang of it. Maybe your peep's bed, though best they not in it at the time. Mouses!

      Delete
  25. Erin, you look very sweet in your "Third Paw" pose. :)

    the critters in the cottage xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Erin...your "shadow paw" has many meanings. I believe you and I ought to join together to analyze what it means. And yes, there will need to be some "nip' involved

    ReplyDelete